Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 9 - 9th January 2013 - Chickadees and Grandmother's Journal


It's Wednesday and my day to go to town - volunteer work and errands. Would rather be home on a nice day but things have to be done and it's good to get back into the routine again. Of course this morning I actually slept in - til 5:15 am, that's good since it's a long day in town and a least I won't feel like curling up for a nap somewhere. Temperature is a mild -2.4 with promises of warmer up to +5.
Our company left around 11 am yesterday.  Had a big breakfast, a little more visiting and they hit the road. Lexi and I were left on our to a rather lazy day. Cleaned up around, enjoyed the warm temperatures out side and the Chickadees at the feeder. It actually reached +4.9. Finally had the hot turkey sandwiches last night for supper - smothered in gravy with french fries. Oh was so good. I broke up a box of chocolates as well in the evening. I've resisted this long but they were calling my name and I only ate 4 which is not bad considering in the old days I would have polished off at least half of the box in one sitting. Pot of Gold is just not the same since they moved out of Nova Scotia. My German chocolates get doled out a few at a time to make them last - they are so good and I love them. Funny how 1 really good chocolate can satisfy a craving but it takes a lot of poor quality ones to do the same thing.
From Grandmother's Journal:
8th January 1973 - Very mild, rain.
9th January - Mild turning cold late in afternoon. Rain overcast. 10 o'clock at night - beautiful.
10th January - Started snow, Sat. Night. Worse storm of the year so far. Sunday 11th - miserable cold snow, blustery and lots of snow. 
12th January - Monday, not very good. Still some snow and drizzle. Jimmie home for the weekend. Went back today on real bad roads and weather. 
Her entries are short when they stayed in town, weather sounds similar except for the storm that came - hopefully we don't get that on the weekend!
Spreading his wings to fly off. They are so quick - darting this way and that.
 There are always at least two sitting in the lilac bush waiting their turn at the feeder.
 And he's off!
The ice and snow was melting and falling - felt like a mini rain storm in the woods.












1 comment:

  1. I cannot tell a lie I read grandmothers journal entries first lol I think they were shorter in the winter because she felt more alive and enthusiastic when they were in the country! Good job on the chocolate restraint lol it is a good thing kathy doesn't live near by lol. Well off to get ready for work. Wednesdays are my busy days as well. Hopefully a call today about high speed a girl can dream :)

    ReplyDelete