Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 21 - 21st January 2013 - Fast Water and A Woodpecker

Monday, Monday  and it's -2.4. Suppose to be really cold  all week so I won't be venturing far. Back to work for most people and I've got grants to write today. I've been trying to get myself in the right mindset for those. I'm sure a friend of mine that works in another institution has hers all done, she just whips those out as soon as we get the notice. I like to roll them over in my mind first. It's been 9 years of doing them so they are getting a little dull maybe that's why. I don't think I'll have Colin returning so that also means I'll have to hire and train a new student - most years [except one] I've been really lucky with my choices. Some have returned which always makes my life easier and one is actually our President and my boss now which we find kind of funny.
Wow - what a beautiful but very windy day we had on Sunday. Temperatures were up to +10 - was that a glimpse of spring? Nah suppose to be cold the rest of this week. For those of you who are tired of the birds, (but there will be a few) here is something different to view.
 Took a jaunt up the road to view the river yesterday afternoon.
 I love the fast water. Larry and I have actually canoed down through this - I'm not one to get out and portage.
 Love the bubbles along the foam.
A little too cold for me.

















Looking from the bridge.












 This female Hairy Woodpecker landed on the post that holds up the porch roof.












After a few minutes she found the feeder on the deck and settled in for breakfast. She's about 5 feet from me sitting on the window seat in the kitchen.










Larry and Lexi will soon be up, time to put the coffee back on. Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!!! love the photos especially the woodpecker :) ha ha the bubbles are pretty cool. I have decided I can write just about anything here because you rarely read it!! Ican undrstand you not wanting to portage :)

    ReplyDelete