Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 24 - 24th January 2013 - Another day of Cold, Snow and Birds

Oh I spoke too soon the other day, was up by 4 am and boy is it cold this morning. The temperature is -15.1. Maybe I can convince Lexi she doesn't want to go out to play too much today. She loves the snow and cold but then her feet ice up and we have to stop and brush out the snow and ice. Time to get some words down for the last grant application for this month (due next week). I think I've got things more or less in my mind. Guessing there will be lots of birds around - they will be hungry again in this cold, would really like to have a new visitor or two. Exercise class tonight - hopefully the weather and the roads will be decent.
Feels like each day gets a little colder this week if that's possible. Yesterday was miserable. I think I got my work out - how many times did I go up and down those basement steps putting wood in the furnace - lost count and then of course there is the wood which is very similar to weights. I usually make more trips than Larry just because I can't seem to get the big wood in and I'm home so it doesn't really matter. I can use the extra "steps and weights". As we were tramping through the woods yesterday I thought to myself - I'm sure not many photographers carry their camera in a plastic grocery bag. There was so much blowing snow. I hate getting it wet and don't have one of those covers or protectors for weather so I make do with what I have. It works - I just pull it up over the camera and away I go, keeps the weather away - although I don't usually take it out in heavy snow or rain.
From Grandmother's Journal:
24th January 1974 - Beautiful day. Bob to M.C. No snow. Clouded over in late afternoon. Mother and I had our hair done. Shopped. Bridge at Joyce's.
25th January - Beautiful winter day. Bob to M.C. for the day, no snow. Doris M. and I out for a walk in the afternoon. More like a March day. Up to Ohio tonight for Classy. She was over to Bruce McKay's. Ran away.
[Classy was one of my dogs, unfortunately she spent more time on the run then behaving herself or hunting. She would scale an 8' fence and be gone. That particular day she probably went about 20 miles.]
 No one had yet been through the path.
 Lexi makes the first tracks - she loves it.
 Over the windfalls she goes.
 Lexi and I - Shadow portraits! Think another day I try for taller and skinnier.




Thank goodness a little color against all that white snow covered ice and bleak sky.



















Came across a Male Hairy Woodpecker in the woods, could hear another one but didn't see it.


















 Chickadees don't seem to have a lot of patience, but they are happy sounding little fellows.
 The Goldfinches - didn't stop long to rest - it was too cold.
This Red Poll is puffed up trying to stay warm.




















Well I sure need another coffee this morning. Stay warm and enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. Grandmother's journal, photos of Lexi, the wood pecker....what more could a devoted follower ask for..Thanks
    Brrr again this morning -13 when I came home from Denna's and stogged the fire. A little late getting to the birthday party but it was worth it as the girls rushed out to show me their playhouse. The smiles on their faces as they showed me and discussed curtains and planting real flowers in the window boxes in the spring was priceless. Kasey up early again this morning I think she fancies herself the keeper of the fire......I have my coffee and warm feet which are not far from the fire.

    ReplyDelete