Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 17 - 17th January 2013 - The Lake, Ice and a Chickadee

A little milder this morning at 0.2. Not sure what's on the agenda today - maybe back to cleaning through the photographs. Exercise class tonight, other than that I see very little excitement in the day. If it's decent Lexi and I will spend some time with the camera and roam around the hood, of course there's always the sights and sounds from the kitchen window.
I was sure glad to get in the house last night - roads were greasy, weather was nasty and I don't travel well. Next snowflake in the air and I stay home and I missed taking photos of the birds and the snow today from home. It was cold when we got home too, the fire only lasts until lunch time or so. I told Larry - no food until there is some heat coming and I ran up stairs and put on my flannel. A nice cozy evening in.
Time to check in with Grandmother's Journal:
17 January 1974:
Very cold 0 temperature. Bob & Bobbie left before 6 o'clock were gone all day. Got home around 6:30. No cats. Bridge at Ruth Brown's.
18 January: Cold still 0. Sunny, warmed up in day. No good for hunting. Bob at MC afternoon. Home for supper time. Sid & Mike up for supper. Lights went out around 7 until 10:30. House beginning to be cold. 
19 January: Up at 5 o'clock or before. Bob & Bobbie off to MC before 6 o'clock. Home before noon. Bob sick. Dr. Cooper called it a virus. Started snow, turned to rain then back cold again. Ice everywhere. Late afternoon, Bob feeling better but has to be in bed all day. High winds. 
20 January: Cold over night. Wind moderate making it warmer. Beautiful winter day no wind or little. Bob home all day, not feeling like doing anything. Bobbie & Mike to fox snares, no fur. Very slippery on country roads and side streets in town. Beautiful sunset. Anne, Kim & Sid went skating down on Commissary Island.
Funny but I only remember skating at my Great Grandmother's cottage on Welshtown Lake, we always make treks there in the winter time, she would lite a bond fire and the cousins and I would go skating and maybe have hot chocolate in the cottage later. I'm glad my Grandmother kept her journal.

 This is from Tuesday when the weather was really nice.
 A little ice settling around the rocks in the lake.















 I think someone grazed the kitchen window - left feathers.
Showing off his seed.














Time for another coffee. Enjoy your day!

1 comment: