Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 6 - 6th January 2013 - Flowers, Ice, Woodpecker and the Lake

Another bitter cold morning, the temperature is -14.3. So it's suppose to warm up, snow and then rain today - ah sounds like a mess to me as tomorrow will be colder again - ice underfoot, better take care walking. I went to bed super early last night and did manage to stay in bed til shortly after 4:30 am which is pretty good, at least I got some solid sleep. Other than cooking and enjoying the taste of that turkey, I have no idea what's going on today. I guess I better make some chocolate chip cookies too. Maybe we'll just see what happens.
Really was much milder yesterday, warmed up but then cooled off in the afternoon and the wind picked up. Temperature was dropping quickly in the evening before I went to bed. Did the grocery shopping yesterday - even if you don't pick up much you've still spent $50. I get those things on sale that we use regularly unless I'm really stockpiled and then the norm of bread, milk and eggs. Of course those three things amount to $20. so you know I didn't get much else and in the meat department I only bought ground pork (that was $5.11). It might have been cheaper to buy a lobster! Oranges were on sale as was Becel and other than that there wasn't too much else in my cart. Oh well, next week we will try again. I'm so glad we put down a lot of our own vegetables from the garden, that does save me some money. I know fresh is better, but from my garden either fresh or frozen is best. I did buy a turnip to go with the turkey today. Enough ranting about the high price of groceries. If I'm going to do a "big shop" and the sales are good I often venture to Barrington and check out their 2 grocery stores - what luxury!
 Soft and fluffy snow cone.
 Wonder if they'll come back and live here next summer.
 Beautiful view of the lake yesterday.
 I like the long arms of the tree shadows as the reach across the snow covered lake.
 Lois has a new bird feeder, this chickadee hasn't quite figured out how to get in.
 Everything is frozen in time.
 The sun dances along the icicles creating dots of pink.
Mrs. Woodpecker enjoying some fat.




















Time to catch up on scrabble. Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. I can commiserate. If we didn't have to eat we would be rich. Even the staples have inflated and going in other stores out of town depresses me. Dad and I just watched approx 400 + geese fly in. I hope that there are no hunters who read this time for coffee have an awesome day

    ReplyDelete