Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 13 - 13th January 2013 - Evening Grosbeaks, Bluejays and a Squirrel

Woke up to furnace problems this morning - groan! Temperature is mild thank goodness at 0.2 and is suppose to be up to +8. So these things always happen on a Sunday and/or the coldest day of the winter - we hit one out of two. Verdict is - the motor is gone. So Larry will have to pick one up tomorrow and install it - there goes more money after the holidays. This also means that the whole house is up and awake with me during my quiet time this morning - as this all took place at 5 am and believe it or not I was just waking up. It's not the end of the world and we will survive the next 24 hours with out heat. Save a little wood and power - right? Since it's suppose to be nice today maybe I'll roam around and see what I can find in the bird population, would love to get a photo of the golden crown kinglet I saw last week. I have the girls coming for a meeting tomorrow afternoon so must decide what to make that would be tasty for us to snack on.
What a beautiful day Saturday was. Sunshine, no wind - just great and the second week of January. I spent a good portion of the day on the Internet, one other photo had a name I didn't recognize but did track him down. Can find no connection to any family. I am assuming [not always wise to do in genealogy] that they may have been friends or neighbours of my great grandparents when they were first married and lived in Boston for a few years, the timeline fits. I did however, get  a bit distracted with the Photographer Studios that were stamped on the front of the photos. Most of these photos are Cabinet Cards - which were a photo adhered to a cardboard like backing [some fancy], about 4 1/4" x 6" and had the studio name and addressed embossed or stamped on the front or back. According to my research they started making them about 1866 and were really popular in the 1880's-1890's. So to learn a little bit about the photographers was kind of neat because it helped confirmed when I thought some of these photos may have been roughly taken. At least I'm in the right ball park!
 New visitors to the feeder - Evening Grosbeaks.
 The males are really bright and colorful.
 The Blue jays are learning to share.
 Everyone wants a turn.
Here comes trouble - but he only ate from the ground.












 Of course the ducks and geese made no appearance for me - they were there earlier, but the sky was pretty.
Tide was out.

1 comment: