Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day 3 - 3rd January 2013 - Ice and Snow

Another cold and early morning, -10.6. I'm enjoying the bird feeder, the Chickadees  were flitting between the feeder and trees near by. Although there doesn't seem to be many other kinds. Maybe when we've used up this container of feed we'll switch, I'll ask around and see what other people use, or maybe it just requires being patient a little longer. Back to exercise class tonight, hoping Cindy's not too rough on us, it's been 2 weeks and too many chocolates.
Boy was it cold and windy yesterday, especially out on our walks. Going through the woods wasn't so bad as we had the shelter of the trees. I'm thinking that the next trip to town I need to head over to Frenchys and check out the snow/ski pants, everything else is toasty warm but I could use those. Did all that domestic stuff, laundry, dishes, shortened some pants from Christmas, etc. I'm getting tired of that so now to find something more entertaining. It's also that time of year that grant proposals for summer students, etc need to be written and that's always fun [not] and I've got some research to get back in to. Those I'll get underway next week and don't usually take too long.
Thought I'd check in to Grandmother's Journal today:
2nd January 1973
Lovely winter day. Quite windy. bob and two boys to M.C. Home just before supper time. They stayed for supper. Chuck Gregory house burned to night. Lost everything.
3rd January 1973
Snow all morning. bob to MC. No cat tracks. Cold.
4th January 1973
Lovely winter day cold. Down to V. School [Vocational] got my hair done. Mother also. Me to part at Maizie Bruce's, nice afternoon. No cat tracks at MC.

The sun hits ice droplets on the tree branches in the woods.




















 The Chickadees spent lots of time at the feeder,  at one count I think I saw around a dozen out the kitchen window.
 Icicles hanging off the back porch overhang.
 The sun hits the snow on the porch roof.
 Looks like it's frozen all the way across the lake, probably not thick enough yet for skating.
And the wind blows stirring up a little snow squall over the lake.













Time to take my turns in scrabble. Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. Grandmother right on cue! Nice photo of the icicle. On our way for home

    ReplyDelete