Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 28 - 28th January 2013 - Chocolate Cake and Home made Ice Cream

Monday and back to the work force for most folks. Temperature is -11.8. It's suppose to rise to -4 today and be sunny, that will be nicer for sure.  I'm going to tackle some more of those family photos and work on the budget for that grant application due this week. Of course Lexi and I will be out and around. Exercise class tonight - probably a good thing after yesterday.
We had a nice quiet day at home celebrating Larry's Birthday yesterday. I know most of you will probably gasp and roll your eyes today with what I have to say, so here goes. We made home made coffee ice cream - well Larry did most of the work I did some stirring and supervising. We always make a custard base first that you cook on the stove, so much richer but what ingredients - 3 cups whole milk, 2 cups of blend, 6 eggs, sugar, flour and then 4 cups of whipping cream. And then Larry made a chocolate pound cake - ah there you go, surprised? He actually likes to cook and I've never made that cake as well as he does so off he went to the pantry! I didn't want to deprive him of doing what he wanted on his birthday. The moon has been fabulous the last few nights, if it wasn't quite so cold I would have gone down by the lake and taken some photos but daytime has been bad enough.
The recipe booklet - well worn with age - guessing by those outfits probably early 1960's.












The recipe with notes on the bottom re the milk.











 Larry dishing out the ice cream.
 And it was very good indeed.
Chocolate Pound Cake.














I hear the rest of the household moving, time to get going. Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. You are a piece of cake lol....poor old Larry...made his cake and his ice cream!! lol Kidding nice photos. All I have left is the page with the vanilla ice cream. So tell me how did you make it coffee flavoured?

    ReplyDelete