Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 23 - 23rd January 2013 - Bread, Soup and Snow

Another very cold morning, temperature is -12.5. Too cold for me to make my regular weekly trek to town for the day to do volunteer work and errands. My winter job is keeping the wood furnace going and I will gladly do that today. It was snowing again when I got up, and I'm up a tad bit earlier than I have been the last few weeks, hope I'm not backsliding. It's been really nice sleeping til at least 5 am. I've got one more grant application due before the end of the month, it's a little more involved, so I should take an hour to gather my thoughts about that and get something started. Of course I'm sure Lexi and I will spend some time outside.
Had a lovely day, Tuesday even though it was a snowy, stormy day. Spent the whole day in the kitchen - made no knead country bread. Here's the link to the recipe: http://www.docaitta.com/search?q=no+knead+country+bread While the bread was rising I started some Chicken, rice and veggie soup. And of course before the day was out there I made chocolate chip cookies. Tried some bird treats, but not really happy with the recipe so will have to do some revisions to that before trying it out again. Lots of walks with my sled dog or she seems to think she is when it snows.
So I couldn't wait til supper to try it. I cut into one of those small loaves. Nothing like bread out of the oven and still warm with butter.












Nothing like home made bread and soup on a cold winter day. It didn't last long. Next week I may try brown bread.









Do you ever get the feeling you're being watched?












 Not quite sure what he's up to.
 The goldfinches seem to hang out a lot with the red polls.

 You could hardly see across the lake.
This little whited breasted sparrow is kind of shy, but seems to be taking a stand here, or perhaps he's just brave because he's alone for a few minutes.











Definitely need another coffee this morning - if not to wake me up, to warm me up. Enjoy your day!









1 comment:

  1. Brrr Sista you are right it is cold...Miss Kasey was up prancing to go out just about the time my alert arrived for "my blog". She hesitated at the door and decided to go out the door facing the shore ughhhhh. I turned the big flood lights on and she was not long doing her business but proceeded to the other door to come back in (treats are closer) lol she was upset that she did not get a treat and stomped up the stairs to go back to bed. You may have started something this morning with this blog "I can literally smell homemade bread" when I looked at the photo (not nice) and the mention of homemade soup well let me tell you there is nothing like a big bowl to warm the soul in this kind of weather. Why is it the birds never look cold as they flit back and forth from one buffet(feeder) to another. The ducks and geese when huddled look cold.....and are not nearly as vocal this morning. The oil furnaced humped off an on all night and fire in the front room surprisingly had good amount of hot coals this morning. I should have lit the other fire last night but with the wind I wasnt sure and keeping two going is a bit much. Well I am off to get ready for work and had to tell you the photo of the lake could have been taken here this morning as it looks like a fair amount of ice made up. Have a warm day :)

    ReplyDelete