Saturday, January 12, 2013

Day 12 - 12th January 2013 - Sunrise, A Crow and A Teapot

Saturday has arrived, temperature is -2.5. It is the great day of grocery shopping [ugh]. Usually we go in the morning, but I'm waiting till mid/late afternoon today. Want to go visit a friend who lives on the shore just out of town and take some photos of the ducks and geese she always has hanging out. So I think we'll make one trip - do the shopping banking, a couple other things and then head out to their place. That way I can still catch the daylight and we can all have a visit. Larry will probably spend the morning putting more wood in the basement - he only needs about part of a row to fill her back up again.
Did up some of those domestic chores yesterday and then spread out the photos. Hard to decide where to begin. I flipped through one of those big velvety covered albums that look almost like a family bible. Most of the photos are missing and some are just loose inside rather than in the holders, but I found a couple with names on the back. The first one I tackled was a lovely photo of a baby in a gown - written on the back was "Irene Fifield, Aug 10th - 3 mos." No year, etc. On the front was the photographer's stamp in New Hampshire. So who was this child? I have a subscription to Ancestry - mostly for the US records [I don't like using the family trees - too many mistakes].  Off I started with census records, sure enough after a bit I found her, daughter of James and Lottie [Charlotte] and they lived in NH, still didn't tell me the family connection though so I kept digging. My first clue is according to a census record her mother was born in Canada. Eventually I find the index to her mother's death - bingo it gives her parents - names I'm familiar with - McKay, Joseph and Mary. Taking a look in my database I find them quickly enough, they were from Clyde River and descendants of the some of the same ancestors as my great grandmother. My paternal great grandparents were married in the US and lived there for a few years before returning home. Before she was married my great grandmother was a companion [probably about 1891-1892] for the Fifield family and traveled abroad with the lady. So there's the mystery of one photo - wonder how many others I can sort out! Maybe I'll tackle another one today.

It was a good morning to catch the sun rising.


























 I like the way the birch bark peels away.
 Some of summer's left overs.
 The ice piles up on the rocks. Lexi almost slid over the bank right along here. She wasn't long scrambling back up to safety.

 Not a great pic - but this raven or crow was just hanging out on the ice.
 After a few minutes he took off.
Tea anyone?




















Enough for now. Enjoy your day!















No comments:

Post a Comment