Saturday, October 18, 2014

Day 291 - 18th October 2014 - Reflections, Squirrel and a Hydrangea

Wind has died out this morning, cloud covered with no stars. Looks like a fine day on the way, which means road trip! Think we'll head to Pubnico, maybe stopping in Cape Sable Island first or on the way back not sure. There's a Wilson Snipe in Pubnico I'm hoping to catch up with and you never know what else we'll find. I was thinking something unusual might have come in on this weather system but doesn't sound like it. Of course there are lots of regular birds I've not seen yet so I'm open for anything.
Friday was wet and wild. Mostly spent inside doing a few things I've put off all week. I tackled the pumpkin and squash in the morning. A full large pot of pumpkin, yielded me about 2 cups of cooked. I questioned why I went to all this work instead of buying a can or two. The only thing I can come up with is - 1. I know exactly what's in it - no additives or preservatives and 2. I'd forgotten how much work it was. Not that it was finished then, I still had to strain the liquid out of it. Cheesecloth and hanging over a pot to drip, occasionally giving it a squeeze or two. Next year I'll probably do it all over again. The squash wasn't any work, just quartered and baked it in the oven. The rest of the day was filled with laundry, some housework and computer work. Later Lexi and I curled up on the sofa and had a nap awaking to clear skies again. Sometimes those 4:30 am mornings catch up with me. I spied two Hermit Thrushes in the backyard just before dark last night so they are still hanging around.
Notice anything funny about this photo - it was such a calm day I flipped it upside down - hard to tell the difference.
Raindrops and one lone leave left.
With all the reds and golds I love the pop of the blue canoe on the dock.








Culprit number two in the feeder - wonder if he was watching the Blue Jay.
This Hydrangea at a neighbour's is still in bloom.








Enjoy your day!

1 comment: