Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 131 - 11th May 2014 - Gulls, Willets and Yellow Rumped Warbler

Happy Mother's Day! So many strong women in my family that I am grateful to have known and come from. All of them very different, special in their own ways and great roll models. I was most fortunate growing up to have both of my Grandmothers and a Great Grandmother. My Great Grandmother, Nettie was a woman before her time - she enjoyed hunting, fishing - the outdoors. In her 70's she shingled the roof at the camp.  She would tote my cousin and I around in the summer and to camp with her. Oh the trouble you could get into with her. My Grammie H. was pretty easy going, you could stay up late, she took all of us kids to a scary movie one time (against parental advise) and of course 20 minutes later had to bring 5 scared children home again. You could put her hair in curlers, eat things you weren't allowed to at home and have lots of fun. I was my Grandmother R.'s little princess, being the only girl on that side of the family had lots of advantages. However, she too enjoyed the great outdoors, fishing and hunting in her day, but she also taught me about the wild flowers and birds and how to knit. My Mom is a special woman and I am blessed to still have her.

Yesterday we did the Spring Migration Bird Count, not sure about spring as I kept thinking I should have worn gloves. We did mostly shoreline - so lots of ducks, gulls etc. A lot of travelling both in the truck and on foot but it was fun and we got a fair portion done before hunger and the rain started. Swung into town and picked up some groceries and did Mother's Day shopping on the way home. After supper the rain stopped so I whipped around the hood to see what else I could add to our list. Didn't find any exotic on our travels. Now I have to get my list compiled and sent in.
 We saw a lot of gulls!
 Only one Ruffed Grouse.
 I love the Shore birds - these next few are Willets, saw quite a few of those.




Finally the Yellow Rumped Warbler came down from the high trees last evening.








Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment