Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 158 - 6th June 2012 - Journal Entries & Hummingbirds

Wednesday and my day off, dare I even look out the window to see what the weather is doing. Too dark yet, but I don't hear anything..........maybe, just maybe it will clear. Our digital weather station is showing the little sun symbol so lets hope. It's +8.9 this morning. Really this time of year temperatures aren't all that interesting but it's habit. Guess I'll work hard today, in hopes that the weekend will be fine and we can take a day and maybe enjoy some of the Lobster Festival events around the county. It's that time of year when there are lobster suppers, lunches, etc all over the county.
It's been a while since I've shared some of the grandmother's journal entries, so I thought I'd take a peek and see what had been going on a few years ago.

Monday 4 June 1973: To town early, Kim stayed with us. Picked up Annie H. and her brother took them to welshtown. Lovely day. Saw a deer. Trees are beautiful now, all colors as nice as fall color I think. Home 7:30. I work mornings.
Tuesday 5th: Town early. Leaves most out, color lovely this morning. Very tired tonight, to bed early. Game on. [Baseball - my grandfather was a Boston Red Sox fan, and listened to it on the radio, they had no tv in the country - no power].
Wednesday 6th: Fine morning. To town early. Clouded over while playing golf. Had good afternoon. Saw bull moose at Beaver Dam. Pot luck supper not as good as usual.

I enjoy reading about the birds and wildlife she saw, when the planted the garden, harvested the apples and all the daily routine. It gives me that warm, fuzzy feeling of family. Usually my Mom and Dad are mentioned, or my brothers and myself, friends who are no longer with us anymore.
I caught this little fellow just about the time I should have been heading upstairs to get ready for work, but I couldn't resist taking a few moments for photos.







He was preening and bathing and looking all around.
I had to leave him before he decided to fly off!
Can't resist a few more ferns.
                                                                            Hopefully by the time the sun comes out these will be in bloom.




















Well, the rest of the house will be up soon, so I must make good use of the my quiet time. Another coffee, and then on to read a few chapters of Water St. with my red pen in hand [just kidding Karen].
Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

  1. I love it when you share your grandmother's journal entries and nice photos again. The ferns are pretty spectacular. I used to love it when the kids would bing me dandelions and Jacki would place ferns with them trying to copy a bouquet of flowers her father had brought me. have a good day
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have stirred some memories for you!

      Delete