Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 99 - 8th April, 2012 - Good Food, Friends and Sunsets

Awoke this morning to a temperature of 0.0 and a dusting of snow, like icing sugar sprinkled over the deck and yard. Feeling a lot better as well.  We are off to Mom and Dads this afternoon for Easter Dinner.  Easter seems to become very commercialized almost like Christmas. The simple things of enjoying family and friends aren't as evident anymore, but perhaps I am wrong. When we were children, there was always an Easter egg hunt, some chocolate Easter bunnies and eggs, a new outfit for Sunday School and often a kite or skipping rope. I'm not sure you can even buy kites anymore but they were lots of fun. It was also fun to decorate eggs before Easter,  you could buy the kits and dye them or put designs on them. Mom would hard boil eggs for us to do.

Well some of you will know about my little  rate I had yesterday at our local grocery store - Sobeys, as you were there when people began clapping.  It's difficult when there is no competition and a giant has a monopoly on something like groceries. I like to go through the grocery flyers that come every week and work on my list from that. This week it started on Saturday because of yesterday's holiday. But at 9:15 am they either were out of some things or never had them to start with. Then there is the meat issue, no ground pork, turkey or chicken - Larry put the buns back we aren't having burgers tonight for supper! I don't eat beef so ........... there is no alternative. Besides the others are so much leaner and better tasting. Try it if you can ever find any. And when Barb asked me if I knew where the jelly beans were, I proceeded to have a little rant! And several people started to clap! I don't blame most of the staff, in many cases head office sends them what they send them. And is the a reason that something can't stay in one place more than 2 weeks in a row. Are you people bored?? Do you need to move everything around constantly? So enough of that. I'm going to start doing one week of bread and milk, next week to Barrington where they have 2 grocery stores - options, choices! Will I be able to handle that!

On a better note we ended the day with a wonderful supper at Barb & Daryl's with Irene & Billy. Nice to see old friends and laugh the evening away.
There are more mayflowers in bloom now.
So small and delicate they are lovely and often one of the first wild flowers of spring.
The pussy willows are pretty well finishing up for the season. They are so soft, just as their name implies.
Daffodils are in bloom close to the sunny side of the house where they are more protected from the elements.
A winding country driveway.
The sun is beginning to set.
Almost black and white with just a hint of color in the reflection on the water.
An old house stands alone on the hill as the sun disappears behind. It looks lonely and unused.
And so it was time to go back to the house and enjoy friendship and good food.
Take a moment to remember the true meaning of Easter Sunday. Enjoy your day!







1 comment:

  1. A good rant was required. Like you I do not blame the workers it is " head office distribution" I had a craving last evening for a mango, into SObeys and oh dear at $1.79 there approx 7 left and they were not worth a penny Why is it the produce in Dartmouth looks and smells phenomenal.
    Shelf changing is "marketing" and some companies pay for "eye level" We did a topic last week at WW on fibre and believe it or not the majority of the healthier foods are on the lower shelves. Disheartening in a world where they growl about obesity and health issues.
    So you are off to a fine Easter Dinner and time with family which to me is important.
    I can still remember one new Sunday School dress as if it were yesterday, light lavendar with yellow trim lol (I probably looked like an Easter Egg) lol but I remember attending tow Sunday School Services that particular Sunday. I was very fortunate as my parents permitted me to go with my friends. My John St. buddies ranged from Pentecostal, Baptist, Anglican and Catholic lol and I would hopscotch my way from one to another various Sundays. Oh to be young, carefree and not judgemental. We couldn't wait to go play with our new skipping ropes or blow bubbles, kites were put together and back behind my Gram's house careful to avoid the black briarberry patch as that was the last place you wanted to have your kite fall.
    Thank you the gentle poke to my memory. Hope you have a fantastic day with perhaps a little care package to take home from Bah's. Happy Easter my friend tomorrow will be #100......

    ReplyDelete