Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 95 - 4th April 2012 - Holiday Meals, 1940 Census and Ear Infections

The temperature is -1.5, that's prettty much the same as it has been the last few mornings. It's Wednesday again and my day in town. Have lots to do and I know of a few people who will be in as well. So it's shaping up to be a busy day already. As long as I get half of the things done I want to, it will be a semi great day! The Easter weekend will soon be upon us, university students will be home, family from a far. Always nice when families can gather together and share meals and memories. As long as I can remember my Mom and Dad's house has been the gathering place for family meals. For many years both sets of grandparents came for all those holiday meals. Then my siblings and I married and the numbers grew with neices and nephews but  now some of them have moved too far away and the numbers are reducing again. A neice and her husband have recently returned the from the west, so perhaps our numbers will start growing again. Over the last 30 years the numbers have gone up and down, but even those not with us are thought of and remembered.

We've been having quite a high old time with Lexi. She has an ear infection so we have been putting an antibiotic cream and drops in her ears twice a day. The cream is not bad, but oh what problems we have doing the drops. Larry literally has to flatten her to the floor, however, he appears to be getting black and blue in the process.  We are all done on Sunday, thank goodness.

Yesterday was deceiving - I thought it was going to be warm and sunny enough to work out side but got a rude awakening. Did a little cleaning in one of the flower beds but finally between cold fingers and my ears aching, I gave it up and moved inside. Larry went to dig clams again so of course we had those for supper again, and once again they were soooo good! Lexi and I went for a walk around lunch time, then I proceeded to tackle the newly released 1940 US Census. Hunting for a few distant relatives in Massachusetts. They are not indexed yet as they just came out on Monday, but how exciting. After finding this chap in the 1930 Census for Nantucket, Massachusetts and checking some US directories I felt confident he was still in the area in 1940. I looked at the enumeration map in hopes of narrowing down my search a little further and started. I went through 90 pages before I finally found him, which I think was pretty good considering how many there are. There he and his wife were. Eureka! From Sandy Point, Shelburne County to Nantucket, MA. Now to find a death record for him.
Lexi and I on our walk, not sure what she is gazing at through the trees.
Little fluffy ferns are coming through along the base of the forest and trees.
The woodpecker is always a faithful and greedy visitor at the feeders. They actually have a special one of their own when they aren't flitting up and down the trees drilling holes!
Time for another coffee and to get moving. Enjoy your day!

2 comments: