Sunday, April 22, 2012

Day 113 - 22nd April 2012 - Gloves, Tulips and Leaves

Daylight is slow coming this morning, I can hear the rain on the kitchen window. The temperature is way up there at +12.8, guess that's what you call balmy! Today is definitely an indoor, work around the house kind of day. There are lots of things  to do before I head back to work tomorrow and the old routine. There is an old saying that goes "If it rains on Monday, it will rain three days that week", or something like that. This is a week to test out that old folklore as they are giving rain up until Thursday.

Yesterday started off fine and lovely but by early afternoon the rain had started. We did our shopping, stopped at the garden centre and used some of a gift certificate I had and picking up a few things, which I got in the ground when we came home. Dug a few more weeds out, Larry worked on splitting some wood and putting it in the building - next winter! In the country most of us use wood; we either have wood stoves or furnaces. As great as the heat is, it's a 12 month of the year job. It comes [some go out and cut their own trees we order ours in long lenghts], you block it,  cut and split, put it away, then it's time to burn it, from there you start all over again. I think some of the other neighbours were working on wood piles as well, I could hear a few chainsaws and woodsplitters going when I went for  a walk. We love it and I can't imagine heating this big old ark with anything else. We do have oil as well but at the rising cost of that we use it sparingly.

Darling Lexi with my garden gloves, they are really too big so I bought myself a new pair Saturday........
....my new gloves and my precious Lexi. They are great, have some elastic type material in them that actually means they stay on your hands and you can feel what you are pulling. She's not so bad, doesn't chew them just likes to carry them off!
I was lucky this tulip fully opened up before the rain and I was able to get some photos. The colors are really pretty.
This is what the inside looks like, pretty cool I think!
Thought I better take a walk through the hood before the rain started. These leaves are popping up and unfurling all through the woods. Soon we'll see flowers coming from them, maybe star flowers?
Further along the path they are opened a little more; there is less  tree cover here and the sun comes through much brighter.
My favourite feathered friend was munching away  at Lois and Danny's. Lois was painting the deck and we both got caught in the rain. It was time to head home. Tucked my camera inside my hoodie and off I went.
I suppose with rain this week I'll be running to photograph between rain drops or I'll have my ziplock bag out to keep my camera from getting wet. You may just have a few taken on previous days to fill in the gaps.
All is still quiet here this morning, but I've had my coffee so should at least get something started.
Enjoy your day!

 






4 comments:

  1. What the heck is all over the tree that the bird is munching on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just fat!LOL!! Woodpeckers like that kind of stuff.

      Delete
  2. Excellent pictures....the tulip is absolutely breathtaking...oh the miracles of Mother Nature. Thought I might have to phone SPCA, isn't some law agaist having pets do arduous(spelling?) labour lol. Actually I realize Miss Lexi had discovered a toy....Well the grandpuppies have returned the city and the house is too quiet. Home again to do some housework ande vacuum up the bone fragments from the mat in the living room, three dino bones later the mat has little white flecks everywhere!! Had to come into the office to get a few things done so it won't be as overwhelming in the morning when I "play catchup" enjoy your Sunday....I might have a nap or as my father used to say "give the eyeballs a little mug up" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your nap, I can imagine it is very quiet without the granddemons!LOL!

      Delete