Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 103 - 12th April 2012 - Memories, Old Houses and more Blooms

Thursday and a very mild morning indeed, temperature is +6.1, that sounds like summer mornings. Better not say that too loud it may snow tomorrow! Just joking. Looks like they are giving some showers for today. I am hoping Larry is on the mend, as I've said before...... a sick man around the house is not a good thing. Not sure why, when women are sick they have to keep moving, but men just whine. Oh well, he really doesn't get sick often, maybe once every year or two, so I'll be sympathetic for another day.

Today would have been my Grandmother R's birthday, she passed away in 2008 shortly after her 90th birthday. It's her journals I sometimes read through. They lived in the country for many years and I was fortunate to spend most of my summer vacations and holidays with them. Being the only girl in our family she spoiled me. That's not a bad thing grandmothers are meant to indulge, but it also means that I have wonderful memories that I cherish of things we did together and things she taught me. She was the one who persevered and taught me the only left handed child in the family how to knit. She loved to play cribbage so I learned that at an early age. Making fudge, dropping a small ball of fudge in a glass of water to test for doneness. Reading her journals for this reason, they bring back the sights, sounds, feelings of childhood and later.
Looking down John Street towards the harbour. There are some beautiful old homes in our town. There are walking brochures available at the Museum that will take you through the historic section of town telling you about many of the original houses dating back to 1783+.

A very calm and quiet morning on the harbour front. Just a little bit of fog hanging from the sky.
What a difference a day and some sunshine makes, the flowers are starting to open. The purple one should be open in another day or so, too.
The Vinca is flowering as well, small but bright among the leaves of last fall.
I am a sucker for reflections in the water. Although in a month or less this will be much prettier once the leaves are out on the trees. The lake is low, you can see rocks and shoreline not usually found this time of year. The ducks have beeen avoiding me lately, I guess they have lots of wide open spaces these days.

The daffodils among my old fashion rose bush are starting to bloom. It's a great combination, adding some color to a bleak area until the the leaves pop out and rose buds start.

Daylight is coming slow this morning, it's overcast and grey looking, hopefully the sun will join us later. I am wondering why I've started sneezing again.......hope I've not caught this cold back. Photography class this evening, so need to pick through some of the shots I've taken this week. Time to get started. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment