Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 101 - 10th April 2012 - Tile, Woodpeckers and Buoys

Another mild morning, temperature is +3.1, spring must be here now. I need to kick myself in gear today and finish up some odds and ends of projects, cleaning etc. Hopefully Larry will feel up to being outside part of the day and I can work inside. He coughed most of the night so I'm guessing he is now getting what ever joyful [not] virus is going around. I had a bit of cough last week with the headcold but it didn't last long thank goodness. The other option will be to pop him back in bed out of my way, but we'll see how things are. Having the house on my own for  a few hours means I can whiz through and get a ton of stuff done quickly.  I have a meeting in town tonight, so need to make sandwiches to take.

We got the tile work all grouted yesterday morning, love the look of it. It was a messy job, like make mud pies as a child! Before supper Larry got the moulding around the edge all painted. The kitchen reno is clearly getting done. I need knobs for the doors/drawers, floor painted, a few new stools and sometime this summer we will get new counter top for the old part of the cupboards. Overall it's not been a really expensive project, a lot cheaper then it could have been if I had purchased all new cupboards. In that case I would still be waiting - budget restrictions!
Just a sneak peak, will try to get some better pics today.
The path through the woods was alive with birds yesterday. In fact a chickadee almost landed on me, which probably would have given me a heart attack. As much as I enjoy taking photos of birds I am really scared silly of them. It's that flapping wing motion that does me in. I wasn't really expecting such activity and felt a little like I was wearing cement shoes as I didn't move fast enough to get them all.
The funny little nuthatch, always seems to be upside down or sideways, and moves very fast.
One of my favourites, the woodpecker. He's such a great bird to take photos of, so easy; he just ignores you most of the time and lets you adjust camera settings. Maybe he's just a little vain.
I think this is so cool, I caught him as he was taking off.  I love the whirling effect, you can see the bars of white through his wings.
You don't often see the woodpecker roaming around on the forest floor, usually they are up in trees, so was happy with this shot.
Something a little brighter in front of the lake, which was otherwise rather dull yesterday.
Well, have had my jolt of coffee, guess it's time to get things started. Enjoy your day!






4 comments:

  1. Nice job on the counter looks awesome!! not sure where my comments went yesterday as I commented from my blackberry,somewhere in cyberspace perhaps. The photos of the woodpecker are pretty darn cool, I like the fact that you referred to him as a "he". Funny how words of Carly Simon's song "Your so Vain" played in my head as I scrolled down through them. Get your sandwiches made and have a productive day. Yesterday was a slutwholloper of a day, safety audit for the Nova Scotia Trucking Safety Assocication. Only a couple of file issues but on whole good feedback. Ican start cleaning out some of the files and "Keep way too much stuff". Have an awesome day my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The males have the red, as in most birds they are the prettiest!LOL!

      Delete
  2. Love reading your blog Kim! Especially love the woodpecker shots today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina, a little bit of the backwoods of NS!

      Delete