Saturday, April 19, 2014

Day 109 - 19th April 2014 - Waves, Nuthatch, Skeleton and Lobster traps

Milder this morning, +2.1 and no wind yet. The Song Sparrows are singing up a storm out there. I think I slept through the Rooster up the road crowing. He's pretty early - usually around 5:30 am. So this morning, once I get the household mobile we'll head in the direction of Cape Sable Island. Spend a few hours there and then do our grocery and Easter bunny shopping in Barrington. Giving a chance of showers this afternoon but maybe we'll be lucky and it will pass quickly.
It was another beautiful but chilly day on Friday. Needless to say I didn't get Larry out at the crack of dawn, I let him sleep until almost 7:30 am. Got a fire going and had breakfast. I rethought my excursion and decided we'd catch the tide on it's way in late in the afternoon. So I roamed the hood and Larry worked outside, then we had lunch and headed out later. Went to Hemeon's Head, I'm beginning to think there is a bird conspiracy going on. It was pretty quiet! We did see a Hawk, an Eagle, a Great Blue Heron and some ducks, none of which I got great photos of.  It was even colder and windier on the ocean but we had a good walk - about 4 miles over rough terrain, beach rocks and sand. It's a work out. On a fine day it's one of the prettiest spots I've ever been but yesterday afternoon it was rather bleak looking.
The waves were crashing over the rocks. Makes you wonder how those early seamen ever survived.
 A very bad Hawk photo. It is times like this I have lens envy and wish for a bigger one.
The Great Blue Heron - nice to see them back again.
 One of the Black Ducks we saw.
 One of Larry's finds - not sure what kind of a bird it was.
 The amount of debris from the sea was quite astonishing. I guess it must have been that bad storm we had at the end of March. Amazing how far the stuff is thrown.
Berries are coming.




















Red-breasted Nuthatch, one of my favourites that come to the feeder.










Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment