Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 108 - 18th April 2014 - Woodpeckers, Mayflowers, Flags and a Rock

Another nippy morning, temperature is -1.7 and the grass looks to be dipped in frost. Stars are all out and the moon has an odd glow around it. Suppose to be fine most of the weekend but not warm, warm. Oh well guess we will dress accordingly. Hopefully it won't be quite so windy. I warned Larry last night it was going to be a birding weekend. So many places we can go and never leave the county, can't make up my mind where to start. I know before the weekend is over we are going to head to Upper Clyde to visit friends and see what has arrived in that area. Thinking today it might be a trip to Hemeon's Head.
It was a beautiful day but chilly. A north wind blew all day, I went off on my first jaunt with my camo coat and gloves on. Walked way out to the point, the two Song Sparrows are still there serenading one another. I had one hit the kitchen window yesterday afternoon. Lexi was laying on the deck not 2 feet from it. I told her to leave it and I checked on it and it moved it's head, rested for 15 minutes then flew off. Every few minutes she would turn her head around and  look at it but not move. I was surprised as she is curious but she didn't bother it. Still have a few dregs of this cold left but am feeling better every day. Exercise class last night - good workout.
 There were a lot of Woodpeckers around. I think this one could find a better place for breakfast.
 Mayflowers are getting closer. It only takes a day or two of sunshine to bring them out.
 Found another nest yesterday, not sure how I've missed it all winter.
 My "hide from the ducks" rock is out of water again. It doesn't look big but it's big enough for me to lay behind and watch for Mergansers and others in this cove.
 Spring Flags are out in the hood.
Not sure what this Woodpecker was up to, but she rested on the side of the feeder for almost 1/2 hour. I actually walked up quite close to her.
















Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. We're heading to MacKay Lake for a family bbq this afternoon. I'm hoping to find some there or Lake Deception. I'm on a mission.. I haven't had any since Dad died. I downloaded your pics so I'll know what kind of leaves to look for. Wish me luck :) Have fun bird watching today. My feeders have been so busy these past days. I'm loving it :)

    ReplyDelete