Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Day 363 - 29th December 2015 - Purple Finches, Goldfinches and a Junco

Sounds like a good day to be inside - snow, ice pellets - the lot. The stars from last evening have all disappeared  and the moon is just a hazy spot in the sky this morning. Wind has died out and it's silent. No Owls hooting. Guess I'll continue with yesterday's project since it will be an inside day. Maybe I'll get out for a jaunt before the snow starts.
Brrr.... the temperature sure took a nose dive yesterday. Not quite like Christmas Day when I planted bulbs. Lexi and I of course still roamed the hood- bundled up with gloves and cap. The wind cut through you but then we aren't quite use to winter yet.  I puttered around the house putting gifts away, trying things on to see what needed to be shortened (that's a given) and catching up on laundry. Decided it was a good day to start re-organizing the library. I did some cleaning in there before the holidays but still not quite how I wanted things. Time to sort out books. Cleaned off my desktop to an external hard drive and packed that up. It's old, doesn't work well and just takes up space. The feeders were busy with the pending storm - Goldfinches, Purple Finches, 1 Junco, Mourning Doves, Blue Jays, Chickadees and I caught the tail end of our winter resident Sharp-shinned Hawk. Looked like he left hungry again.
Female and Male Purple Finch.
These cheeky guys are always dodging in and out of the feeders.
Purple Finches and a Goldfinch.
Our one Junco. Never seems to be with others, but stays all winter.

 A few red berries still hold out on the forest floor.








Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment