Monday, March 17, 2014

Day 76 - 17th March 2014 - Gulls, Ducks, Loons, Brant Geese and Waves

Monday morning and I have no trouble staying in bed - oh well must have needed the sleep. Temperature  is nippy at -9.5. So today I'm back to doing some research and roaming the hood. All is good... I hope. Exercise class tonight - I need to get back into it and work hard otherwise when I go back to work next month I'll be going in pj's as nothing else will soon fit.  I detest winter weight and it gets harder to take off as you gain each year.
Sure felt like March winds on Sunday. Some snow/hail mixed in the early morning so we waited until mid morning to set off for our adventure. Off to Cape Sable Island to find the Brant Geese. Checked out a few wharves, headed to The Hawk and Daniel's Head. Found a few at the South Side Inlet. A little far away but at least we can say we saw them. It was so cold on the Island. Larry swears he won't go back til July or August but I'm sure once more birds are moving I can convince him once again to return. We made an early day of it and were home by 2:30 pm. Lexi and I had a short nap as my head was throbbing after getting up so early. I've had a hankering for apple crisp and ice cream, apples I had so I stopped on the way home and got the ice cream. Larry made the crisp.
 Can always find gulls, although they seemed to be having problems with the wind too.
 Common Eiders.
 Loons will soon be sporting their summer colors.
 Seems the Loons that hang around wharves are much friendlier than those in the lake.
 Lots of waves and spray.

 A few Horned Larks. I found it really hard to take photos with the wind blowing me and the camera lens around.

 We weren't the only ones on the beach.
 A puddle of Black Ducks.

 Grebe.

 Brant Geese - not a great shot. Larry picked them up in the binoculars and you could seen them clear through those. These kind of shots give me lens envy. None the less a new one for my list.





At North East Point Beach looking toward Barrington.









Enjoy your day!


No comments:

Post a Comment