Sunday, August 3, 2014

Day 215 - 3rd August 2014 - Bald Eagle, Black Bellied Plover, Purple Fringed Orchid and Willets

Raining pretty hard out there this morning, so I guess it probably won't be a day to go anywhere. We have several obligations so could only have done something in the morning. If it clears later I'll take a jaunt around the hood, maybe I'll find something new or at least get to practice with the big bazooka on some of the regulars I see.
We decided to head to Hemeon's Head yesterday morning - I yearned for quiet and solitude after a busy week. Was a little disappointed - however, that's how birding goes, some days there are lots, others not so. The first time we went there last year we were literally tripping over shore birds but not yesterday. Maybe the next time. The fog was thick as pea soup and not perhaps the greatest for photos, but to just get out and see a few was good.  Did see the Piping Plovers but no pics. Good to know the young survived as I've been informed it's a hard beach for them to raise their young as there are a lot of predators. We made a quick stop at Louis Head Beach but that was bare too.  At Sable we decided to find the foot bridge and take a quick stroll. Then on to Shelburne, groceries and home. Spent the evening in Upper Clyde visiting friends.
 Our first distraction as we had just started down the road from home. The Bald Eagle was sitting along the river watching the ducks. Haven't seen him for a few months.
 Not necessarily a great photo but I love the reflection.
 Lots of Sparrows around.
 Purple Fringed Orchid - there were a number of these along the path to the beach.


 And there were lots of Willets.
 Cormorant in the fog skimming over the waves.

 Larry checking out the ponds and taking a break.
 Black Bellied Plover - still not quite close enough for great shots. I crawled through a lot of tall grass till I got to the edge of the pond but once I got there I was pretty well out in the open again and they were off.


 I'm not sure what the bird on the left is - maybe a Dowitcher.
 Savannah Sparrow.
 Another Willet.
 Common Yellow-throated Warbler - I'm seeing a lot of these in my travels.


















 We decided to check out the foot bridge in Sable - our first time.  Another Shelburne County treasure.



















View from one side of the bridge.

I do like taking photos of frogs, something about those big eyes.







Enjoy your day!




1 comment:

  1. The bird on the left of the two Black-bellied Plovers does look like a Dowitcher. Black-bellied Plovers are extremely difficult to approach. I've only done it once on land and a few times on the boat.

    Great frog photo!

    ReplyDelete