Sunday, August 19, 2012

Day 232 - 19th August 2012 - Geese, Big Dead Fish and Sunflowers

Woke up this morning to the sound of rain and thunder. Can see flashes of  lightning in the sky as well. Guess it will be mostly an indoor day. Well there are things that need to be done around here and perhaps they will get looked after.

Saturday started off as another foggy morning, but turned very hot and the humidity popped in there as well. Had a great day, left home around 11am for Yarmouth. Now the Shark Scramble was not my idea, but sometimes you just have to let the love of your life pick the photo shoot location and topic while you just tell yourself - yes watching them weigh big dead fish is fun!  Now the sight of fish guts doesn't bother me in the least, after all this end of the province makes it's living from fishing and I spent many of my early years playing in a fish plant and aboard boats. However, after the first few sharks were weighed it was getting dull. We met Larry's brother Chris and boys, so it was really nice to spend time with them too. After awhile everyone decided that we had had enough sun and heat, Ian had a ball game [which actually got cancelled] so we went off to get some lunch, then we all headed in our own directions. Did some shopping, and they tracked us down again at the grocery store to invite us for supper. Larry and I headed out to their place to enjoy Chris' birthday supper and then homeward bound. 
I was so excited when I spied this flock of Canada Geese in some one's yard on the back road to Yarmouth. 
Larry counted about 24 altogether.
The boats went out on Wednesday evening [17 in all] and returned Friday with their catch. I think they were allowed 3 sharks each. Apparently they head to warm water as this is where they are found.
Lobster pots sit on the wharf waiting for the season again.
A shark balloon floats through the air above the boats.
Hauling the first shark out of the hole to weigh. This rig lifts and weighs them.
For those who don't like big dead fish - time to sign off!
They were all blue shark, except for one mako shark.
Another comes out. DFO was on site making an examination of their stomach contents and recording size etc. for research purposes, I think. Apparently they will eat anything.
They are then cut up, put on ice and later are sold. My understanding is that the money raised goes to local charities.
Of course there are prizes for the boat that brings in the biggest Shark.
The tail.
I actually tried to be a bit selective about the ones I posted.
To end the day - Darolyn's sunflowers. The Ovarian Cancer Society sell the seeds as a fundraiser. They are rather interesting as the stalks are only 2 feet tall with huge flowers on top!
Will get this posted while I still have internet, I'm sure that will come and go today as well! Enjoy your day!

















1 comment:

  1. Nice photos of the sharks!! Of course my fav would be the geese I look forward to their return. It is good to be home....camper is parked in the yard and my own bed tonight :)

    ReplyDelete