Friday, August 17, 2012

Day 230 - 17th August 2012 - From the Flower Garden

The Friday dance! Last day of work week folks - any special plans for the weekend? Seems like we always have something on the go. Suppose to be drizzle and showers early this morning which I think I can hear on the deck now, (too dark to see yet) then clearing later. Looking forward to a day to get lots done, peaceful and uneventful.

Yesterday was a quiet day at the funny farm! RAH!RAH! (oops I mean the office) Got some research done at the Registry of Deeds, you know when you think it will take 1/2 hour and it takes 2 hours to sort out who owned what, when. But all was good, I think, in the end. Did it ever rain hard on the way home supper time. Could hardly see the yellow line on the centre of the road. Angie and Bernie stopped for a coffee after supper and to say good bye. They will head back to Germany on the weekend, but will return next year. I bet she's already counting down the days. Meanwhile I'll keep them up-to-date on their Nova Scotia home through the blog.
They add some color in an otherwise dull part of the garden right now.
I really like these flowers whatever they are called. Got the new bulb catalogue, can't wait to order some more!
Think Isie told me these were called Blazing Star. I see the botanical name is Liatris.
Hostas are in bloom, which mean the deer will be having late night snacks soon.  I shouldn't complain, they usually don't eat much out of my flower beds until fall.
Just a bit of sun coming through to rest on the ferns.
Time for a second cup of coffee. Enjoy your day!








4 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Friday :) Denna and I are off to Jacki's bachelorette soire lol Destiny & Delana are babysitting Uncle Billy (need I say more) I am taking the lads home as well they have been vacationing at Rhoda's where they have been pampered. I noticed the blurb about the cheesecake lol one mistake and I will never be forgiven. You have an awesome day and I will email you tonight from the club lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely day, Lexi and I have been chilling. I'm having a mental health Friday off! Life is good! Oh and I made zucchini muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,

    The white flowers that are so beautiful are called Gladiolus callianthus (Acidanthera is another name). You plant then in the spring and dig them up in the Fall. They don't overwinter here. You can get them many places, Garden centres that sell lily bulbs, Walmart, grocery stores. I found it easier to buy new than overwinter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Darrell! I tend to be a bit of a lazy gardener and never lift bulbs in the fall. My glads will usually last 3-4 years before I have to replant them.

    ReplyDelete