Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 23 - 23rd January 2015 - Ice, Leaves, RWBB, Blue Jays and a Junco

Here it is Friday again, and the last week of the month - time flies for sure! Temperature is -8, tad chilly for sure.  I'm a little late this morning. Woke at 4:18 am and closed my eyes back up tight - for a change it worked and I went back to sleep! Sounds like rain on it's way for Saturday, who knows could be snow and or rain, no two forecasts really agree on anything.  Lexi and I will get out and around today, looks like a nice one on the horizon.  Housework and catching up on a few things today.
I'm a little disappointed. There are Redpolls down the road and up the road but none at my house. Actually I even checked Lois' feeder yesterday and Sam's feeder - nothing at theirs either. Wondering if they stopped on Wednesday when I wasn't home and got mad, well there is always another day, but it's seriously hard to get any work done when you are hanging out the kitchen window - watching and waiting! We have lots of Blue Jays (maybe too many), the RWBB is still here, Goldfinches, a single Junco, Hairy Woodpeckers and Chickadees. I'm not sure what's happening with the feeders this year. Haven' seen a Nuthatch in ages and the Evening Grosbeaks that were here the other week haven't been back, wonder if someone in the hood has been offering posh bird seed...hum.
 The Hydrangea blossom has blown off and frozen in the ice.







When I see broken ice I always wish for a little sun so you can get good bling but it remained grey all day.

 There were lots of leaves frozen in the ice as well.
The RRWB was back today, seems to be travelling with the huge flock of Blue Jays.
The greedy bandits.
 A couple of the many Goldfinches found a spot to eat. Most were on the ground under the feeders, eating what the Blue Jays tossed out.
 As always - our lone Junco.
Getting a little closer. I think it's an immature male, doesn't quite have the bright red on his wing yet.






Enjoy your day!

1 comment: