Sunday, April 5, 2015

Day 95 - 5th April 2015 - Woodcocks, Grackle and Canada Geese

Happy Easter Everyone! Hope you all get to spend at least part of the day with family and friends. Stars are all out and the moon is shining bright with a temperature of -5 this morning. Looks like it's going to start off nice but we may get a little snow again. I know we are all getting tired of that four letter word. Apparently it's going to continue some more in the upcoming week. We are off to Mom and Dad's for Easter dinner later today.
Saturday was pretty exciting for me. About 6 am I heard a Woodcock out in the yard, oh yes it was dark and I couldn't see him. Come daylight, I spied him in the back yard on a grass patch. I told Larry when he got up not to let Lexi run out back but to keep her on her leash so she didn't scare him. After some debate Larry believed me (first he thought it was a Partridge, then a rock, but it moved and he agreed I was right) Suddenly he spotted a second one, within an hour 2 more, bringing our total to 4. They hung around on a nice grass patch all day so I'm hoping they were finding something to eat. Unfortunately the grass patch is surrounded by snow and I couldn't get close for good shots. I was still happy, it's been many years since I've seen one.
They are such handsome birds with their long beak.
 And very good at camouflage.


 He was digging around for something to eat.




I noticed Harriet the Grackle back a couple of days ago, but this was the first chance I had to get her photo.











A couple of Canada Geese and a Mallard at the Guzzle on Friday.






Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment