Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 4 - 4 January 2012 - A day in town

Home of the Bean Dock  Big Chair - Dock Street
Winter arrived - the temperature was -9.8 when I got up this morning. Today is Wednesday and my day to go to town and do volunteer work. It's also a good chance to catch up on all the local happenings, complaints and concerns from the last few weeks........... not that in a small town there are any of those! I guess my camera better travel with me, with winter days short, not much chance of taking photos before I go or when I get home, so a change of scenery will be good for that too.  So life should be good. As I write this at 5:30 am, that's what I'm anticipating anyway! And I get to use one of my Christmas gift certificates at my friend Moniques Cafe - The Bean Dock for lunch.

Monique and Sharon are back at work after a few days off over the holidays, well rested and working hard as always. I got my fix today, I've gone since before Christmas without my weekly bacon and scallop wrap! Yummmmmm!
Erin ran through for her coffee this morning and there was some interesting chatter on NY's resolutions; being green and buying local! Enough said on that, it's best left unsaid!





So the day didn't go too bad, other than it was colder than cold and my office had no heat! A malfunction in the thermostate, on the plus side it did get fixed around 3pm, an hour before I left! But I toughed it out and pretended I was spending they day as an early ancestor - hey they had no central heating and at least the ladies room was warm!

Last night while surfing the web for something I ran across Benjamin Marston's diary. He was one of the surveyors who laid out the town and surrounding area giving out lots to those who had come in 1783. I had read transciptions before but this is the actually diary scanned in PDF with an index. It's rather interesting in that it tells about those early days and what life was like. William Booth wrote a journal as well about being in Shelburne which the Shelburne County Archives & Genealogical Society published a few years ago. Rather hard to believe that our little town was once going to be the capital of the province! I've included the link for Marston's which can be found on UNB under the Winslow Papers:http://www.lib.unb.ca/winslow/fullrecord.cgi?id=2423&level=2&BACKSTR=fields=Title%2CCreator_name%2CSubject%2CSource%2CETC_Sequence&order_by=Identifier&level=2&Creator_name=&Title=&Subject=&Source=22-&boolean=AND&Keyword=

No comments:

Post a Comment