Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 27 - 27th January 2012 - Thoughts of Comfort Food and more

The temperature is -2.8, and it sounds like it will be a messy day. The weather stations are calling for snow, freezing rain/ice pellets then lots and lots of rain. I think it will be a repeat of last Friday.  6am and it's snowing - that very fine stuff that only means trouble. Today is Larry's birthday, made a cheesecake yesterday afternoon and I'll do a blueberry sauce to go with it. He's requested a seafood pie that I've done before with scallops, shrimp, crab [whatever I've got for seafood] a bit of dill, leeks, a sauce in a puff pastry shell. It's really tasty and rich. I'll put that together this afternoon and bake it later. If the power should happen to go out he may be eating the turkey soup I made yesterday! I should dedicate a few hours to my report this morning, then it's all the standard stuff - dirt and dust - yuk!

Lunching on home made turkey soup, perfect for a day like today. Comfort food for a stormy day. Soup seems to warm you from the inside out, guess that's probably why when you were sick it was a favoured food. Personally when I don't feel well I like chocolate pudding and/or gingerale. Both of them seem to perk me back up and settle my stomach. You can never go wrong with chocolate. I'm sure it's true since I have friends who feel the same way! Sometimes I dream of the food we ate as children - mom always cooked from scratch - homemade bread, donuts - we loved those holes, pies, cookies, cakes ....... oops those are just sweets! I can remember visiting someone and having oreo cookies, didn't know that there was such a thing - actually I thought I had died and gone to heaven!  We only had homemade cookies at home! Ha! I certainly appreciate those now. I am a decent baker, but still can not manage to do shortbreads like Mom does, even though I use the same recipe, and forget pies, those I've never been successful doing. I'm pretty good at most other things that come out of the pantry. And I enjoy baking, it's relaxing. But there is nothing like sitting down to Mom's home cooking...... it's the best.

The snow stopped, ice pellets/freezing rain and now I think it's started to turn to rain.

So last night I took a few photos of the sun going down, knowing that today was not going to be a day I want to take the camera out sluffing around.

Just a little glow on the lake from the setting sun.





























So if you are at work, drive carefully going home this afternoon, the weekend is here! If you are home, ummm...... why not curl up with a good book this afternoon and a hot chocolate!

1 comment:

  1. Comfort food and comfort words. Hmmm guess I will make a chowder tonight and homemade biscuits. The only cookies ever bought at our house (growing up) I believe were the "Pirate Cookies" and Dad loved them so we gnerally only had them on occasion. My fav. homemade cookie was Gram's Molasses...oh the memories ......
    The photos were beautiful and you captured the "feel" of the glow. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete