Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 12 - 12 January 2012 - Bits & Pieces

When I went to bed last night the temp was -9.8, this morning it's -6.6. Guess we can say it's warming up? I suppose if we are going to have a mess of snow/freezing snow/rain, the temperatures have to rise somewhat. Have a meeting this morning at 10am with Sheila & Cathy to start planning the Valentine Dinner our Hall is putting on next month. Hopefully the weather will co-operate and everything will go well. That's the only problem with winter fundraisers. Last year it was great, so fingers crossed for a good repeat! That's the only major thing I have on my plate today, other than that I guess we better do some work around the house and my down time will be spent doing some research. Have several requests that I better get into. The weather may directly affect my research if I plan on using the internet as our wonderful broadband system frequently goes out if the skies are not clear! So if I don't get posted early enough - no hollering - and girlfriend you know who you are! Just kidding, sometimes a little prodding is a good thing.

For Ice Hockey fans, Wikipedia tells us this :
On 12 January 1912 - Professional ice hockey was played west of Toronto for the first time, and on artificial ice for the first time, in Victoria, British Columbia as the Victoria Senators lost to the New Westminster Royals, 8-3 in the initial game of the new Pacific Coast Hockey Association in Canada.
Hard to believe they had artificial ice 100 years ago!

I found another site called "brainy history", that lists events in history. It's kind of fun to put in a date and see what was happening, for instance on this day in 1971 - "All in the Family" premieres on CBS featuring 1st toilet flush on TV - I used to love watching Edith Bunker, how a woman could put up Archie is beyond me. but it was a different era.  In 1948 - the "1st Supermarket in U.K. opens". Maybe this wouldn't be a big event now, but I bet in 1948 it was! Buying groceries under one roof - can you imagine. Guessing before that it would have been more of markets and small shops which specialized in various items - a butcher, baker, produce. Of course most people had their own cows for milk/butter, chickens for eggs and meat and probably a garden. Women "put up" veggies/fruit as they came in season.   

I see that they are dismissing schools early for the pending storm. Some will complain about this decision but if they send the kids home in the middle of freezing rain/or ice pellets and the roads are bad, they will complain more about that, so I guess better safe than sorry.

Our Valentine Dinner is all planned.  Before going to the hall I spent a few minutes take some photos by Hodgeson's Bridge of the Roseway River - is it ever moving fast!



Time for some lunch and some housework! Enjoy your day.............

1 comment:

  1. Earlier today!!! Time noted :)
    Brrr those photos send a shiver, especially all of that ice buildup.
    Interesting little tidbits of history. In 1948, the first supermarket in the UK. 2012 and Shelburne has one ughhhhh. Don't get me wrong I am happy that we have a grocery store and that they are a great source of employment in the area. Variety and competition would be great. (my little snarl for the day)
    I looked out my window this morning and there was quite a little ice buildup along the shore and I could not help but notice the ducks and geese huddled in the cove, a sure sign of some nasty weather)
    Enjoy your lunch and do something fun other than housework.

    ReplyDelete