Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 15 - 15th January 2012 - House Genealogy

Very cold this morning my friends; -10! Now that's nippy. We [I should say hubby] got a 4 1/2'x4' section of the floor finished yesterday all down to the wood. It looks pretty good, but it's not the original floor boards, my best guess this floor was put down in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Larry tells me there is another floor -which is probably the original floorboards underneath. That's ok, when we get it all done, then we will decided how it will be finished - paint/stain/varnish. But, I think we have lots of time before that decision needs to be made.  By noon he managed a few more feet! Has 4 1/2'x 8' done, wohoo! Making great headway.

Curious as I am, thought I would call someone who lived here a number of years ago with her parents when she was young. Mary and her mom Ruth told me that there were tiles on the kitchen floor at that time, but they had not put those down. She initially thought I was looking for genealogy information, but I told her "house genealogy". That would mean that I'm probably right and a second floor was put over the tiles - since what fool would want to try to remove tiles! Somewhere I have a list of who owned the house, which I'll dig out and it will help me put a timeframe to my research. The more I know the more I want to know, so while Larry keeps heating, scraping and sanding, I will keep digging for info!

The day has been rather lazy, but that's what Sundays are for ....... a day of rest. Enjoy your day, don't work too hard, remember family and friends.
The temperature hasn't really improved today, went out for a short walk and came back with my face feeling like I had just gotten out of the dentist's chair. I did get to wear my wool socks, and they fit since my Mom knit them for me! So all is good!




The lake looks like it's freezing in secitons and layers now.

No comments:

Post a Comment