Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 18 - 18th January - Glad the day is over

The thermometer is reading +8.6 this morning. Another typical winter morning?? And it's Wednesday again, my volunteer day in town. This week feels like a write off anyway; yesterday - Yarmouth, today  -Town, tomorrow back to town in the morning - will spend a few hours researching at the Deeds office, then a meeting at 11:30, back home for a teleconference at 1:30. So how much will really get accomplished. I feel like this month is slipping away just like last year did.

I am really late finishing up today, but it was a stressful day. You know how somedays just get worse and worse and you would rather close the door and go home and hide under a rock. That was my day! A situation re-occurred and I dealt with it, maybe not how it should have been done, but  I did. I stuck by my guns and there are those who are not happy, however, it had to be finished. I'm sure everyone has days like that, thank goodness they don't happen often! Enough said, I now need to move on and hopefully forget it or rather learn from it.

On a brighter note Larry got back to the kitchen floor today and almost has a 8' x 8' piece done. Looking good!

This building on Water St.  is Shelburne Furniture and Appliance. For many people who are from Shelburne, they can remember it as Cox's Store. A wonderful store that carried everything from groceries to furniture to dry goods, fine china and building supplies. Some year before that it was the house that my paternal grandfather lived in as a child with his parents and siblings. They had a store front as well. Imagine having to cut wood to heat a building that size! Before that it was referred to as the Kelley Block - where Capt. William Kelley and his family resided, which also housed a store.




It was really windy on Dock st. lunch time, looking across to the Islands park, a few sea gulls can be seen on the reef in the harbour.

Tomorrow is a new day!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    Did your grandfather Bob Robertson live in this building as a boy growing up? I would love to see old pictures of the building from days gone by. I loved going to Coxes Store every Saturday night when I was a kid.I still have a black wool pullover sweater I bought there in the early `60s. I remember well going there to buy yard goods from Miss Gould. Thanks for stirring up fond memories of those days. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he was just a young fellow when they lived in that house, part of his chores were to bring in the wood. I haven't got any photos when it was Cox's, although would love some if they are out there, but I've got one when they lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes tomorrow is a new day and with the sunrise a new beginning. Sleep well and awake re-energized!!! Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete