Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 14 - 14th January 2012 - Too Late to Turn Back Now!

The temperature is +2.0, but according to Environment Canada it is suppose to drop later today. I can still hear the wind this morning, but our marvellous old money pit does not shake and shiver like some houses so I didn't notice it much last night. From all accounts on Facebook this morning I guess it was a wild night - there were reports of high winds everywhere, flickering power/power outages, snow, hail, sleet and the odd mosquito! Also sounded like it was a good excuse for romantic candles and wine! That's quite a combination.

I know we've had an easy winter so far, but as I looked at the yard yesterday once the rain had taken the bulk of the snow off, I thought January is just yucky - we have time to do things but have blown the budget over the holidays so no money to do it; all of the extra eating has piled the weight on [as I finish a box of chocolates]; and outside it's just wet and dirty looking - at least the snow looked clean! That's my growling for today! I would really like to rip up the cushion floor in the kitchen and paint the boards - not expensive - maybe a gallon of paint. But every time we start something in the money pit [my very affectionate name for our house] it runs into costing me at least 10 times more than I started out thinking it would. The charm of an old house! Maybe I can get Larry to take a sneak peak under the flooring and see what things look like. I would much rather prefer the nice old wide floor boards if that is what's hiding under there.

Too late to turn back, we've started pulling up the flooring....... just as I thought it's glued down. Larry is using a heat gun to get it up, then to get all that fabulous glue off the floor. Possible a work in progress?? But I don't want it to look this way for months. Guess I better get in gear and offer some assistance! Well the good news is - it's a one man job - we only have one heat gun, so I"m off the hook. Heat, scrape, sand; bad news - it will take forever. So we do a small section at a time, hopefully it will be finished by next Christmas! .
One small section and a lot of work to do. Top photo shows floor after we took up the cushion flooring; bottom photo shows the back of the cushion flooring - so much glue!!!




The ice is floating along the edge of the lake today.

2 comments:

  1. No romance here last (home alone, hubby on the road) there might have been wine but none of my invites showed up. Just as well with wind like that and two fires going better to be alert and aware during adverse weather conditions. You have your work cut out for you but believe me it will be worth it in the end. I had help from Dad and Uncle Bob when I stripped the cushion floor off the kitchen and dining room floor. Mind you ours had only been down 10+ years but nevertheless hard work. (I have a heat gun somewhere in this house, but I shall pretend not to be able to find it(what are sistas for afterall)Dad and Uncle Bob used a sander than we used a "golden oak" stain which helped to cover up some of the stains, than several coats of varathane. They have come along ways with product not nearly as "smelly". Please do not paint those beautiful wide planks and if you need help I would be more than willing to help :) Have a good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floor boards in the kitchen are not near as nice as those upstairs, which are painted and I love them! Will wait until we get it all done then decide on paint or stain or .....

    ReplyDelete