Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 24 - 24th January 2012- Making Headway!

No cold temperatures this morning, the thermometer is reading +7.1 and even though it's dark out I can hear the rain on the deck. By the time daylight comes and I can see out the windows, probably most of the snow will be gone again.
Thanks to a friend, I think my brain block of yesterday about the online source citation is cured. Friends are great! Today I'll tackle some more of that and finish reading another section of Water st. that Karen sent me late yesterday. Of course there is also the regular things to do - laundry, run the broom around etc.- "light housekeeping" as I like to call it.

Larry's making great headway on the kitchen - the flooring is almost all up and glue scraped off the floor boards, but he's got a lot of sanding left yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll pick up some paint color samples when I'm in town. Sherri - do not say a word, I am painting the floor boards! And I think the cupboards as well. So far this DIY stuff is pretty easy, but then I'm not doing much of the work, just giving direction. We've also decided on an addition at the end of the kitchen cupboard - like an ell with a counter top, some cupboard space underneath for storage and perhaps some stools for seating. I'll move the table over to the adjacent room with the china cabinet. I could use a little more counter space especially when I'm baking and who couldn't use more storage!

Whenever I get into these reno projects and DIY stuff I think fondly of my Grampie H. A man who never raised his voice, rarely had anything bad to say about anyone and could do anything with nothing. He was the one I called when we first bought the house and had problems or wanted to do/change something and needed help. "Yup sis, I'll be right down" was always his answer. He told me one time how he made Christmas lights when they lived in Sandy Point years ago; not sure how they worked or why he didn't burn the house down but it did! Probably during war time when things were tough.  And he always had a good yarn to tell, sometime with a few embellishments but that just made them better. I wish I had written down more of his stories, as many of them were about life in Sandy Point as he was growing up and the people around there. I think it's a mistake we all make, not getting those stories down, we really never remember the whole story in years to come, only bits and pieces.
Things have gone well today, making great headway on my projects and the floor. Time for some lunch. It's rained hard all day so you will get a photo of my favourite subject. I think it's ok to cheat a bit, since most days I post several photos.


This is Lexi, our Australian Shepherd.  I took this last fall, not sure if she's looking at the ducks in the lake or not. Now she'll have to wait til spring to see them again.









Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

  1. As always a great escape from the "everyday". I enjoyed the walk down memory lane and remember with great fondness your Grampie H. Oh the stories he could tell. I taped on cassette my Grampie Errol telling me stories about "Blue Island" and have it in a safe place. (My code for somewhere in my hopeless chest. Nice to see photos of the Princess she is so photogenic :) I guess if you must paint you must paint.......

    ReplyDelete