Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Day 102 - 11th April 2017 - Purple Finches, Chickadee and Mallards

Monday eventually turned out to be warm and sunny but it was overcast and cool all morning. By afternoon it had become spring like. I worked on the Whirligigs, got a few things done around the house and roamed the hood. It was a good day for a walk but no signs yet of new spring arrivals. I'm patiently awaiting the return of my favourite songster the Hermit Thrush. The Geese, Ducks and Loons are all vocal these days on the lake. Yesterday morning I heard an Owl close to the property, just across the road in one of the big pines, of course being still dark I couldn't see him. No sign of the Mallards in the Cranberry ditch but when I got home, they were under my feeders. Exercise class last evening finished off the day. Looking forward to getting out to do some birding on the long weekend.

Male and Female Purple Finches.
















If you can get them to sit still for a few seconds the Chickadees do strike a good pose.
I probably wouldn't have noticed the female but the bright green head of the male Mallard caught my eye.




Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment