Sunday, October 18, 2015

Day 291 - 18th October 2015 - White-Eyed Vireo, Nashville Warbler and Red-Headed Woodpecker

Stars are all out this morning, but it's chilly.  No real plans for anything exciting today. I've got to do some photos of my great nephews so it might be a good day to tackle those - maybe at the park. Or we might just take off and go birding again - who knows! 
Nothing can really pick you up like having a good morning birding. With the temperature a cool -2 we headed off early to Cape Sable Island. I thought 8 am was probably too early to check for the Red-Headed Woodpecker at Atwood's Brook since it was in someone's yard. I do have enough sense to realize just because I get up before dawn not everyone does. A stop at Daniel's Head and Stumpy Cove didn't yield a lot - Yellow Legs, Great Blue Herons ,Gulls, Mallards and a couple of Black Bellied Plovers.  The Guzzle was quiet as well, but I didn't give up. At the Hawk we ran into another birder, Mike who had just seen the White-Eyed Vireo. This was one on my bucket list. There were plenty of Cedar Waxwings, a Baltimore Oriole, Black-Throated Green Warbler and as we moved along the road - Swamp and Song Sparrows, Nashville Warbler and a Blue Eyed Vireo. We drove a little further and I played around with a Common Yellowthroat for a few minutes, figuring I'd let the original spot rest for a bit then try again. It worked, he came out and I managed a few shots. Now for Atwood's Brook - we barely got out of the car and Larry spotted the Red-Headed Woodpecker in an Apple Tree. I hung around and found lots of Yellow Rump Warblers while Larry talked to the lovely lady who owned the property. No sign of the Snowy Egret but I was happy with three lifers for my list.  Then it was back to reality - groceries and home.
 White - Eyed Vireo. Lifer!















Swamp Sparrow doing a balancing act.

One of these things is not like the others! Baltimore Oriole hanging out with the Cedar Waxwings.
Nashville Warbler - 2nd lifer on my list for the day.
Common Yellowthroat. Haven't seen one of these around the hood for several weeks.
The Red-Headed Woodpecker - lifer #3. He's a juvenile bird - no red head yet.









Yellow-Rump Warbler.







Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment