Saturday, February 28, 2015

Day 59 - 28th February 2015 - Chickadees, Sunflower, Redpolls and a Goldfinch

Say goodbye to February - I can't say you've been my favourite month that's for sure. Hopefully March will bring us some fairer weather and the disappearance of snow. It's sure going out with a brrr...temperature is -19 this morning. It will warm up some and once the sun comes out, who knows how much. I think I'm in need of a little trip to Cape Sable Island today. It's been almost 2 months since Big B. has been for a good run. Maybe we'll spot the Snowy Owls on our travels and perhaps some ducks or interesting gulls around the wharves. We'll do our grocery shopping in Barrington and should still be home early enough in the afternoon for Larry to put some wood in.
Friday was a gorgeous day if you didn't have to look at that white stuff on the ground! Lexi and I tried a run in the woods, but didn't get far - kept breaking through, so not much fun. I had a great experience in the afternoon. Went out to the lower feeders to take some photos of the Chickadees in the Lilac Bush and after about 10 minutes, about 50 Redpolls and Goldfinches flew in. They almost surrounded me, feeding from the ground - some barely 2 feet from me and in the feeders.
A little morning Bling through the pole bean netting.
The end of February and this poor sunflower has held on through, snow, rain and ice. Reminds me of some very strong people I know.
The gang started coming in.
The Redpolls are really photogenic.
My Phlox hedge has seen better days, but adds a little interest against the snow.
The Chickadees are great for photos if you can catch them when the stop for 2 seconds.
Goldfinch against the very blue sky.
They were so very close.  This male is really red.




















Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment