Saturday, February 14, 2015

Day 45 - 14th February 2015 - Hairy Woodpecker, Blue Jay and Redpolls

A too early and very chilly morning, temperature is -16 at 4 am. I'm in for a long day, maybe a nap in the afternoon, although not likely. It's something I usually don't do. It's Valentine's Day - hope you remembered something sweet or wonderful for your loved one. Our neighbour stopped over last night with his young son - a Valentine for Larry and I and some cake. His little fellow loves to visit Larry. It's Saturday so a day for groceries and not sure what else. I probably should do a few things around here I didn't get done this week - more from lack of ambition than anything.
Friday continued to be cold, flurries periodically and drippy in the house. If a mild spell would strike, we could get the ice off the roof. Larry managed to get a bit more off last night. Since it was the first day of the Great Backyard Bird Count, I made sure all the feeders and suet were filled and waited in anticipation of something interesting to land in the yard. It was mostly quiet all morning - Blue Jays, Juncos and Chickadees, but by early afternoon I was rewarded (nothing new or rare) with a huge flock of Redpolls, Pine Siskins and Goldfinches. The Woodpeckers didn't disappoint me either and some Mourning Doves. And the Crows in the hood made a bypass overhead. Overall not a bad count.  Hopefully more today.
Female Hairy Woodpecker, they seem to be happy with the feeders.
The Blue Bandits - offer a bit of brightness in an otherwise dull day.
She doesn't share with the bigger birds or squirrels but does't seem to mind the Chickadee.
And the flock began to appear in the trees around the feeders.
I love to watch them as they are coming into the yard. From tree to bush to feeders or ground.
I think they are pacing off for a duel!







Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment