Monday, February 16, 2015

Day 47 - 16th February 2015 - Redpolls, Pine Siskins, Goldfinches, Chickadees and Woodpeckers

Temperature is -13, a few stars out and a maybe a few flurries - or just some blowing snow. It's a holiday - Heritage Day so Larry's home. I'm not sure about the whole idea of a holiday in February. I like a long weekend when you can go somewhere or do something, I only see more shoveling in store for us today. A day off in June would have been nice - weather is good, you can hit the beach or hike in the woods. Oh well - I'm not the "powers that be".
Well we had lots of snow yesterday, thankfully it stopped snowing in the morning, but the wind picked up again in the afternoon creating drifts. It was a great day at the feeders and the yard. There were so many Redpolls, Goldfinches and Pine Siskins I tossed seeds out on the snow to accommodate them. The Redpoll flock has certainly grown, I think there are about 50 now and more Pine Siskins. I started  a big pot of soup first thing in the morning, something warm and hardy to take off the chill and easy to reheat if the power went out. We didn't lose the power which was great and the soup was delicious. Comfort food. When we weren't out shoveling and cleaning it was a lazy day inside. Storms are great for curling up and reading which is mostly what I did - however, not the manuscript I was suppose to.
The flocks began to arrive.
Female Hairy Woodpecker - I love watching her.
There were lots of Pine Siskins.
And one of the two Juncos.
I think this is my favourite Redpoll shot of the day, she looks to be thinking - "is it over yet".
The Chickadees are like little acrobats too.
The Redpoll flock is growing rapidly.

The Goldfinches seem to have divided and there are less of those than a month ago.
This poor Pine Siskin is really wind blown, but has snagged a seed.
There are always a fewer feisty ones.








Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment